Traveling to exotic and far off locations is a dream for many. One of the premier vacation destinations is the luxurious city of Dubai.
A Long and Rich History
Located in the United Arab Emirates, in an emirate of the same name, Dubai is situated on the Arabian Peninsula, southeast of the Persian Gulf. With the largest population in the Emirates, it is also the second largest country in size.
The country’s earliest settlements harkens back to approximately 1799, and was officially founded in 1833 by Sheikh Maktoum bin Buti al Maktoum. The sheikh convinced the members of the Bani Yas tribe to follow him from Saudi Arabia to the Dubai Creek. In 1892, the United Kingdom took protection control of the area because of the importance of the location to trade routes.
Today, Dubai is a global, cosmopolitan city and is considered a cultural and business hub of the Middle East. While the economy was built mainly on oil, other main businesses of Dubai include real estate, financial services, and tourism.
The city has also become known for its sporting events and enormous construction projects. Recognizable buildings of the city include Dubai hotels and towering skyscrapers, including the tallest structure in the world—the Bur Khalifa. Dubai has also created manmade islands and the largest shopping malls in the area.
Things to Do in Dubai
You will find so many places to discover and explore in Dubai, such as:
• Dubai Gold Souk – Dubai is known as the “city of gold” and is a haven for gold lovers. This is due to the tax-free shopping status, as well as the fact that gold purchased in Dubai is the least expensive in the world.
• Desert Safaris — Imagine experiencing the romance and magnificence of the Arab deserts. Enjoy full or half day, or even overnight desert adventures. You’ll experience everything from the vast deserts to the mountains, as well as remote villages.
• Beaches — The beaches of Dubai are ideal for a leisurely day at the shore. Enjoy the desert heat and activities such as jet skiing, scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, and more.
• Skiing — Yes, in the heart of the desert, you’ll find exciting cold weather sports such as skiing and snowboarding.
• Global Village – Considered the world’s biggest tourism and entertainment facility, you’ll find entertainment, shopping, and cultural attractions. Diverse arts, commerce, and shopping from around the world are all located here in the Global Village.
Discover all the sparkling sites and sounds of exotic and luxurious Dubai.